Health. Fitness. Positivity. Lifestyle. Mental health. Self love.

Sharing our experiences

It's fair to say I am a massive advocate for speaking out about mental health with the main reason being that I know first-hand the importance of it on our health. However, I haven't discussed as much the benefit this has on those on the receiving end of it.
Early on in my journey, I was so ashamed of my diagnosis that I kept it hidden from everyone except my partner and immediate family. I felt as though it was this embarrassing and shameful secret I needed to keep. At the age of 16 being diagnosed with bipolar disorder isn't exactly 'cool' and ended up leaving me very alienated. Further, into my journey, I soon learnt that talking was essential, whether that was talking to a psychiatrist, a family member or a counsellor. I realised when suffering from mental health, talking is a lifesaver and inevitably when I finally started talking, I started healing.
Suddenly it felt like this massive weight had been lifted from me, I started to accept my condition and started writing my blog. By doing this I noticed my mindset shift and became a great deal more positive about my whole situation, the reason being, using my pain in a constructive way it improved the way I viewed the whole experience. Sharing my story and receiving such amazing feedback encouraged me to change my outlook from a very traumatic one, to a beneficial one.
Not only does talking about your experiences heal you but it assists others too as well. Ever since starting my blog I've had many people get in contact and share their stories with me, often with many people saying they've never told anyone about it before. This without a doubt one of the most rewarding feelings in the world, to know you've prompted someone to start being open and that they have enough trust in you to allow you to be the first is powerful. This exact reason is why my purpose for writing quickly turned from healing myself to healing everyone else.
The reason people benefit from reading a blog or a post is that it allows them to not feel quite so alone. Mental health is incredibly alienating, it can make you feel that even if a room of 5 people, you're more alone than you've ever been before. Talking to someone who has been through the same thing teaches you that the thoughts and feelings you've been having are normal. Being able to read something that explains exactly how you feel is very reassuring.
Sadly, so many of us are still too afraid to share our battles because we're afraid of judgement, meaning so many suffer in silence but imagine how much better we'd all feel if we did. Life isn't plain sailing for anyone, everyone has their difficulties so the fact anyone would judge another person for what they're going through is ridiculous. It makes me incredibly sad that we live in a world where this still happens.  
There are so many of us suffering but so few of us are talking. We don't realise the impact a simple thing like talking can have. Many more of us would feel less alone in our challenges and less isolated if we all shared what was really going on.
As a society, I don’t think enough of us think about the impact we’re having on other human beings. We are surrounded by so much negativity and it's very infectious if we could all think of helping others before always helping ourselves, as cliché as it sounds the world would genuinely be a better place. I think it's important we're all a little more conscious of the impact we're having on not only the people around us but the world because there are a lot of people suffering.
Something to remember and hopefully inspire is that you don't need to be perfect to have an impact on people, you don't need to have your whole life together to provide support. Something as simple as sharing your story and your struggles could assist someone far more than you'll ever know. Start a conversation and not only improve your health but the health of others around you too.


No comments

Post a Comment

© All things green

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig